Google +1

Monday, January 1, 2024

New Year Thoughts

I saw something online recently that asked a simple question. 

At the beginning of this new year, what word describes your thoughts about the year ahead?

Several people replied hope. Others said retirement. Some mentioned kindness. I thought about several words: adventure, peace, hope, health. Hope is my top choice.

I hope we will see an end to war in the Middle East. I hope the United States can begin to heal the massive chasm that divides this country. I hope we will finally begin to get serious about climate change and start taking steps to address it before it’s too late.

What are your thoughts about this new year? It will bring us 366 days to enjoy or to endure, to thrive or to just muddle through. For most of us, I suspect the year will bring some of both.

Our world is so divided: immense wealth and horrible poverty. Peace and war whose most likely victims are innocent people who have nothing to do with planning or carrying out war. Great progress in medicine while so many are unable to get the most basic of health care. An epidemic of obesity as starvation is present in much of the world. A fight to retain democracy in the world while fascist governments proliferate. Those who believe in science as others refuse to believe its findings.

Whichever side of the divide you are on, I hope this new year brings you hope, peace, happiness and fulfillment.

Happy New Year, everyone. Let's make it a good one.


No comments:

Post a Comment