Google +1

Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Did Smart Plugs Make My Dog Sick?

I read something online recently that gave me pause.

A woman had written that her dog -- I believe it was a Jack Russell terrier -- suddenly began panting and refusing to eat. After a while, she took her dog to the veterinarian, who ran tests but could find nothing obvious wrong with the dog.

Then she began to wonder whether the family's smart plugs were distressing her dog. She removed the plugs, and the dog resumed eating and stopped panting. As a test, she put the plugs back into the sockets, and the symptoms returned.

That made me think about my beloved dog Benny. He would pant constantly unless he was asleep. He grew disinterested in food. I tried a variety of foods -- different kinds of kibble, a variety of brands and flavors of canned food, ground beef and steak, even meat baby food. Nothing worked. I took him to see our veterinarian multiple times over the course of several months, perhaps a year. We ran blood tests, did x-rays and physical exams. I spent thousands of dollars seeking an answer to what was making my precious dog sick.

Now, after reading that article, I have to wonder whether it was the three smart plugs in my house that caused his symptoms. There is one in my bedroom, one in my office, and one in the living room. 

Could something as simple as removing the smart plugs and their high-frequency sound have given 12-year-old Benny an additional year or two of life? He was hard of hearing, but otherwise in good health. 

I have seen nothing online other than anecdotal 'evidence,' so I am skeptical of the claims, but not dismissive. Given the lack of any other reason for Benny's illness, I won't rule out the smart plug angle.

Part of me questions whether his decreased hearing could have detected the high-frequency sounds emitted by the smart plugs. But I wish I had known the plugs might have been the problem so I could have removed them to see if they were the culprits.

Benny was the absolute best dog, and I would have given anything to spare him discomfort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment