Google +1

Sunday, December 31, 2023

What's The Big Deal?

I'm not one to celebrate the changing of the calendar.

I mean, it's just a construct of some human's mind. Whether the calendar says December 31 or January 1 really makes no difference. The weather varies little from one day to the next. The sun rises and sets at roughly the same time from day to day. So what, really, is the big deal about adding another digit to the end of the date?

I don't celebrate on New Year's Eve. I don't make resolutions, although once in a great while I will set a couple of goals (that I seldom achieve). So what's the big deal?

I do wonder, however, what the year 2024 will bring to this weary, war-torn, divided and hate-filled world. Will Ukraine win the fight to maintain its freedom? Will Israel succeed in wiping the terrorist group Hamas from the face of the earth? Will humans finally wake up and start taking steps to save our planet? Will this country come together to elect a president committed to saving our democracy, preserving our constitution and working to bring the divided nation together? Or will we elect someone who seeks revenge on those whom he believes have wronged him?

So changing the month from December to January or the year from 2023 to 2024 won't make one bit of difference. We will be bombarded once more with the weight loss and 'get in shape for the new year' commercials. And that's it. How many people actually see their resolutions come true? I'd guess the percentage is extremely low. 

I remember when I was still working. Every year in early January the locker room where I changed into running clothes for my mid-day run would be packed with people. There wasn't even room to sit on the bench to put my running shoes on. I had to wait to use one of the shower stalls. But as the month wore on, the crowds diminished until soon the only women using the locker room were the same ones who had used it the year before. So much for resolutions.

It doesn't matter to me whether others make resolutions or whether they are successful in achieving them. Like so much else in this country, it's just another marketing ploy. I don't need to join a gym or sign up for a fitness program to make the effort to get into shape or drop a few pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment