Google +1

Thursday, January 25, 2024

Momma's Here!

I don't know what brought this about, but I had a most unusual thought the other day.

Somewhere between being asleep and awake one early morning, I was envisioning myself on my death bed, and wondering what my final words would be. And then I knew.

"Benny!!! Momma's here!" Those are what I imagined and hoped would be my final words as I leave this life.

These words will mean that my best boy, Benny, who died last summer, will be there to greet me at the Rainbow Bridge. It will mean that he and I, and my other dogs, will get to spend eternity together. Benny, never a dominant dog, will lead the pack as it rushes to me.

This doesn't mean I have received a devastating medical diagnosis, or that I plan to move to the next stage of my life any time soon. It simply means that I miss Benny so very much I miss him more than I have ever missed any of the 14 dogs I have adopted.  I still call my newest dog, Jett, by Benny's name from time to time without realizing.

So I hope that when the time comes, whenever that is, I will be greeted by this happy face, wagging tail and short legs running into my arms with all the speed he can muster.

Until then, I will miss him every day. 

Until we meet again, Mr. Ben.

No comments:

Post a Comment