Google +1

Monday, February 1, 2021

Pretending. Preparing. Hoping.

 I am pretending that I will get to go on a photo safari in a couple of months.

As with everything in life during this pandemic, nothing aside from isolation and masks is certain. But I am acting as if I will get to take this trip. To that end, I have made an appointment 72 hours before my first flight to get a Covid-19 test and to buy malaria pills.

I have made reservations at a boarding kennel for my dog.

I have started purchasing a few things I will need for this trip, such as a beanbag to steady my camera with its long telephoto lens. I also have ordered a battery to run my CPAP machine for the nights I will be in a camp without overnight electricity. Sadly, I need to try on all the pants I will take with me to make sure that after a year of staying at home and a cold winter that is not conducive to a lot of outdoor exercise, they will still fit comfortably. My weight is the same as it was, but things tend to shift as we get older. I bought an extra battery for my cameras. I have ordered extra filters for my masks.

Am I nervous about traveling internationally at this time? Of course I am. I haven't yet been able to receive a vaccination against the virus. I am cautiously optimistic, however. And I have several masks, including four that have a pocket to hold a disposable filter. I will take lots of hand sanitizer with me. And once the most dangerous parts -- the flights --  are behind me, I will be in remote areas that have had almost no visitors since the pandemic began. I have been assured by the group leader -- someone I know from a previous photo safari -- that camp staff are tested regularly and follow recommended safety precautions.

So I will be as safe as I can be outside my home. Besides, this trip will be a necessary psychological boost after a year of not traveling and not being able to engage in photography on a regular basis.

So unless tings change dramatically between now and departure, I will continue to pretend and to prepare for this trip. I have reached the point where I have done everything I was asked to do by public health and government authorities. I have reached the point where I must do something fun once again.``

No comments:

Post a Comment