Google +1

Friday, August 14, 2020

What's In A Word?

As a blogger and writer, I love language.
 
I love the creativity involved in writing. I love the challenge of finding just the right word to express my thoughts. My love of language also includes reading, something I have done avidly since childhood. Recently I read an article in which the author described the current occupant of the White House as "grotesque, incoherent, malicious, dumb." 
 
I actually laughed out loud when I read this all-too-appropriate description of the 45th president* of the United States. 
That started me thinking about other adjectives I would use to describe him. Here are a few:

illiterate  
greedy 
selfish  
egotistical  
narcissistic 
cruel
lying  
cheating 
uneducated 
inept 
cowardly   
vile 
hideous 
orange  
obtuse  
hateful  
spiteful 
incompetent  
impeached   
revolting  
racist 
sexist  
obese 
arrogant 
boastful  
combative  

bragging repulsive  
nasty  
dishonest
rude  
thin-skinned 
callous 
mean  
self-centered  
stupid  
tactless  
vain  
ignorant   
clueless 
 
Ask me to make a list of positive words to describe this person, and nothing -- I mean nothing -- comes to mind. He isn't kind, or compassionate or generous. He isn't intelligent. He is all about himself and money. That's it. Oh, and golf. But none of those things is a positive attribute.
 
Let's face it: he is a nasty, unlikable, lying cheat who will do anything and everything to get what he wants, including destroying the US Postal Service.
This list of 39 adjectives is a start at describing this evil person. But it certainly is not all-encompassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment