Google +1

Sunday, November 26, 2023

What The Season Should Be

Best Black Friday deals on holiday hosting must-haves

Editors' favorite Black Friday deals in 2023

Last chance for super deals!

The first two are just some of the numerous headlines on CNN.com, which is allegedly a news site. In reality, it is sort of a news site, but half the front page is nothing but advertisements masquerading as news.

The third is from a Kohl's department store e-mail.

Already I have seen a television commercial featuring a very expensive Lexus SUV with a big red bow on top. Really? How many people can afford one or even two fancy new cars for the family as seen in these ridiculous commercials? And with payments of "only $599/month plus tax".

And as the push for holiday spending, and the search for "the perfect gift" accelerate, I expect to be bombarded by ever more commercials, e-mails and snail mail ads. 

The older I get, the less tolerant I have become of the never-ending push to buy...buy...and buy some more. Just charge the items to your credit card, and then start paying the bill off at 30 percent interest! I just heard that a fair number of Americans is still paying off last year's holiday credit card charges.

We are such a consumption-driven society. So many in this country, even more so around the world, are struggling to get the barest necessities -- shelter, food, healthcare -- that it pains me to see so many spend so much money they can't afford (don't forget that hose credit card bills will start arriving in January) on things many of the recipients don't want and don't need.

My daughter needed a new suitcase, so during her Thanksgiving visit I had her pick the one she wanted online, and I ordered it for her. She will have it by Tuesday. She also needs a new air fryer to replace the one that broke. I also ordered one of those, and she will have it next week, as a birthday gift. Those things aren't exciting or glamorous, but they are practical and they are what she needs. She doesn't have a high-paying job, so she doesn't want or need fancy things. Instead, she wants practical things, as well as clothing for her toddler.  I am happy to help with these necessities.

So in addition to providing essentials for my daughter and grandson, I will donate to my favorite charities. Donations will likely be smaller than usual this year, due to the high cost of everything I pay for, as well as some unexpected recent household repairs.

This year, as every year, I encourage people to practice the true meaning of the season. Spread joy. Cherish family. Help others as you are able. Be kind. Be generous, if not with things or money, then with your time. Be a good person, not just now but throughout the year.  And it doesn't matter whether you celebrate Hannukah or Christmas or another festival.

Life is good, and I am happy to be able to help the less fortunate among us. Whether it is donating a bag of groceries, buying a suitcase or donating money, I enjoy helping others.

And that is what the season should be about.

No comments:

Post a Comment