Google +1

Sunday, January 9, 2022

Sunday Morning

When I was a child, I disliked Sundays.

Sunday morning meant being dragged out of bed and taken to Sunday school. My family lived on the west side of town, and the church we attended was on the east side of town. So I didn't know any of the kids in my Sunday school class. As an introvert, I never made friends with any of them. Sunday was also the day I did my homework that was due on Monday.

Now, I enjoy Sunday mornings. Today, for example, I got up just after 5 a.m. I fed my dogs, took them outside a couple of times, and enjoyed a cup of hot tea. After eating breakfast and getting dressed, I read for a few minutes, then walked the dogs once the sun was up. Walking early almost guarantees we will have the neighborhood to ourselves.  

I replaced the batteries in the final two smoke detectors in the house, a chore I always dread. Then I moved a few pieces of furniture around in the living room.

Now I am finishing a book as I sit in my office, one dog snoozing quietly as the other one chews on a bone. Even though I have been retired for close to a dozen years, I still relish the quiet time I allow myself on Sunday mornings.

I think a bit of quiet time is so important to our well-being, both mental and physical. We need a bit of time to ourselves, to relax and reflect and simply do nothing. Regardless of the day of the week, I wish each of you a peaceful morning at least once a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment