Google +1

Sunday, January 2, 2022

How Can I Help?

I saw a post on Facebook recently about a deadly vehicle accident involving some of the Bushbabies staff, part of the Black Mambas, a South African all -female organization that works tirelessly to protect rhinoceros in that country and to educate future generations about the importance of protecting the country's (and all) wildlife. The Bushbabies staff is the education component of the Mambas.

One person died, several were injured, and one remains hospitalized. The group is reaching out to its followers for financial help to cover medical bills. My first thought was, "How can I help?" 

My credit card bill is quite high right now, but I will pay it in full before the due date. Still, I have enough money to be able to help. I can donate securely online. 

I have never met any of the Black Mambas, but I admire the work these young women do. They do everything from removing lethal snares to chasing poachers away, despite the fact the Mambas are unarmed. The Bushbabies staff that were injured were picking up lunch for a group of day campers attending a nature program when the terrible accident, which flipped the vehicle upside down, occurred.

I could easily scroll past the plea for money. After all, I don't know any of the Mambas. They live on the other side of the world, on a different continent.  I am bombarded with appeals for money multiple times every day, on Facebook, in my e-mail and by snail mail. 

Years ago, I probably would have felt a momentary sadness after reading about the accident, and then scrolled past the post. I think I have become more compassionate with age. Does it really matter that the injured aren't like me? Should I not help despite my ability to do so? Regardless of race, nationality or location, they need help. They do amazing, difficult work. They are educating the future leaders of wildlife conservation. The bottom line is, another human being needs help.

Clearly I can’t make a financial donation to every organization that wants one from me. But if I can help in some small way an organization or an individual involved in causes I support, why not? 

I understand that many people are not able to donate money. But I believe there is something each of us can do to the best of our abilities. If we can’t donate money, perhaps we can volunteer, or buy an extra can of vegetables or soup or cat food to donate to a local cause. Let us be inspired by the late actress, comedian and philanthropist Betty white. and as a recent meme I saw online said, “In a world of Karens, be a Betty. “

So the question must be, "How can I help?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment