Google +1

Friday, October 22, 2021

Boycotting What Is Called Christmas

I am seriously boycotting all things Christmas this year.

I haven't celebrated the holiday since my daughter grew up and moved out. For a while after that I would set up a tree and decorate the house. I even sent out cards. But no more. The past few years I didn't do any of those things, but I did continue my tradition of holiday baking. I didn't even do that last year.

I have a collection of 40 to 50 Christmas CDs that I enjoy, but listening to them is my only acknowledgement of Christmas. I traditionally make extra donations to a few of my favorite charities during the holiday season.

That's it. I don't watch Christmas movies, and I never have. Hallmark Channel continues its sappy tradition of airing Christmas movies starting in July. A local FM radio station starts playing holiday tunes in October. Christmas commercials start in October, and local stores start putting up their holiday displays in August! And this all happened before the pandemic created hardships for businesses. The push to spend, spend, spend is worse than ever this year.

I am old-school. I remember the times when Thanksgiving was a real holiday and not just a precursor to Christmas. Retail employees were not required to work on Thanksgiving Day or evening. Then Black Friday with all its madness came along. People started lining up hours before stores opened so they could snag those 'must-have' items. Fist fights broke out, and  people were trampled, stabbed and shot as part of the season of peace and love.

I can't. I simply cannot be part of this usurping of a religious holiday. Every year thieves break into storage units where holiday toys are stored for distribution to underprivileged children. Both the Salvation Army and the Marine Corps' Toys for Tots programs have been impacted by thieves. How low must one go to steal from little children?

I may bake some cookies (although my waistline doesn't need cookies), and I will probably listen to some Christmas music this year. I will donate again to the local food bank and to a couple of animal charities, as well as to the hospice that cared for my father at the end of his life.

There will be no Christmas cards. No special meal on December 25. No decorations. Nothing. 

Once again American greed has stripped a religious holiday of its meaning and turned it into a season of avarice. Well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment