Google +1

Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Americans Should Be Afraid of Covid-19

Yesterday, after receiving two experimental drug treatments and other standard medications, at one of the top hospitals in the country and after being attended by a fleet of physicians, the president* tweeted that Americans shouldn't be afraid of Covid. And we shouldn't let it take over our lives.

Really? This is the advice given to a nation that has so far lost more than 210,000 lives to Covid-19? These people had friends and families who will forever mourn their loss. And let's not forget the untold thousands who may have recovered but who will be plagued by the effects of this disease for the remainder of their lives. 

So yes, I am afraid of this disease. I leave my house only for shopping and medical appointments. I always wear a mask when I'm out in public. I have lots of hand sanitizer, and I use it regularly. As someone who is in a high risk group, I certainly am afraid of Covid-19. And like millions of other regular citizens, Covid has taken over my life. It has forced the cancellation of seven trips this year. It has forced me to have three Covid tests before I could be treated for kidney stones. It has forced me to cancel my usual lunches with a friend. It has caused me to have to settle for alternative foods because what I wanted to buy was unavailable. And these are only the things this pandemic has done to me. Countless others have lost their jobs, their home, their ability to feed their families, their dignity.

And what does the president* do? Does he lead by example? Does he tell people to wear masks? No, he has his Secret Service agents take him for a joyride in a hermetically sealed SUV so he can get his fix of adoration from his supporters camped outside the hospital. He was then, and still is, infectious. He left the hospital before he should have, taking a victory lap over Washington, DC, in a Marine helicopter. 

After he climbed the steps to the White House, huffing and puffing, he stood on the balcony and promptly removed his mask before giving a prolonged salute (to whom is unclear) as he posed for a video and photo op before entering the building, where more than a dozen staff members have already tested positive. Apparently unhappy with the video, he emerged again to reshoot the video for a campaign ad.

With him, it's all about the optics of appearing to be strong and in control and presidential. This is all important to him as he continues to fall behind Joe Biden in the upcoming election. He continues to give his response to the pandemic an A+, a rating shared by fewer and fewer people. His Secret Service team is outraged by his actions that put their health at risk. His White House doctor repeatedly lies to reporters, and the American public, about the condition of the president.*

This president*, who received the best treatment available and who has consistently downplayed the pandemic and mocked those who wear masks, has uttered not one word of sympathy or support to those afflicted with this disease. He has not once offered compassion to those who have lost loved ones to Covid-19. "It's no worse than the flu," he claims. Well, I'd guess that if they could speak, the more than 211,000 Americans killed by Covid would disagree. 

So yeah, I am afraid of Covid-19. And I will continue to be afraid until we have an administration that actually cares about Americans, that encourages us to do the right thing to defeat this pandemic, and until we have a proven safe and effective vaccine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment