Google +1

Friday, October 23, 2020

What I Learned This Year

Despite the sense of isolation and frustration that I and so many Americans feel due to the failed US response to the coronavius, I have learned a few things this year.

I was reminded that we humans, as mighty and omnipotent as we think we are, can be brought down by something as tiny as a virus. Our economy can crash, businesses shutter, and people lose their jobs, all because of a tiny virus.

I learned that the earth can heal itself very quickly when humans, with their trash and destructive actions, are removed.

I have learned that far too many people are greedy, self-centered, easily duped and scientifically illiterate (and probably uneducated about many things). 

I have been shocked to learn how many people believe in conspiracies.

I have always sought refuge in being outdoors. Since the pandemic started, I have met many others from my neighborhood I never saw until the pandemic hit, and people suddenly started seeking a bit of refuge by walking outdoors.

People are, with a couple of exceptions, much friendlier and willing to greet each other during the pandemic. 

I have learned that far too many people lack critical thinking skills. 

Far too many people reject science and logical thinking.
 
Too many members of a certain political party have no tolerance for those with opposing opinions.
 
Some members of a certain political party believe it's fine to threaten, intimidate and destroy the property of those who don't share their views.
 
Reasoned political discourse is dead. 

Friendships and relationships have been destroyed by the hatred and rhetoric of those who support the occupant of the White House.

Racism, misogyny, lying, name calling and cheating are just fine if your party is the one doing  these despicable activities.

A cult has developed around the current occupant of the White House. These cult members agree with his racist, anti-science, misogynistic pronouncements.

Remaining silent in the face of racism, misogyny, personal attacks on others, outright lies and other egregious actions makes you complicit.

I am in awe of the frontline nurses, doctors, respiratory therapists and other healthcare workers who daily risk their lives to care for those afflicted by the virus. 

Thank you to everyone who is working to stop the spread of this virus. Condolences to those who have lost loved ones to the virus. And to those who refuse to take the simple steps to help stop even more deaths (223,000 so far in the US), I hope Karma finds you.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment