Google +1

Tuesday, December 11, 2018

What Happened to Christmas?

What did happen to Christmas?

Christmas used to be a religious holiday. It was simple. It was about spending time with family. It didn't start in August. There was no 'black Friday' with its throngs of people pushing and shoving, or in some cases, shooting, each other. Families didn't go into serious debt buying 'the perfect gift' for everyone. Commercials didn't encourage people to buy a $70,000 car for that special someone. Many families, including mine, attended church on Christmas Eve.

People made homemade gifts for others, perhaps a jar of homemade jam or a dozen cookies baked at home. Kids' wish lists weren't pages long. We had a couple of items on our list, and that was it. One year I got a small record player that played 45 rpm records, along with my favorite record at the time. Another year it was a metal fort with horses and soldiers; I think I shared that with my brother. I got a doll one year, which didn't thrill me, as I always preferred stuffed animals to dolls. My brother got a Lionel electric train set one year. These were gifts that encouraged us to use our imaginations, rather than sitting in front of a computer or television.

What about the Christmas tree, once the centerpiece of the holiday celebration? Gone are the days of heading off to chop down a pine tree (or buying one from a Christmas tree lot), hauling it home atop the family car, cutting a slice off the bottom so the tree could drink water, setting it up inside the home, and then decorating it. Ornaments were often handmade, and strings of popcorn added another festive touch. My family had some bubble lights that I really liked -- when they were working. Today, somebody drags the plastic tree out of the garage or attic. Most ornaments are made in China. Some trees come predecorated with lights. Where's the fun in that? 

When my daughter was younger, we decorated the tree together. I have a lot of ornaments with sentimental value, and several that I bought during trips to Russia, Poland and Kenya. Some are typical of the area in which I live. Many of my ornaments reflect my love of animals. Each of my dogs through the years had his or her own ornament.

My mother made cookies, a tradition I carried on for many years. Once I retired and no longer had people at work with whom to share the cookies and fudge, I cut down on my holiday baking. After I stopped running, and controlling my weight became an issue, baking became even less of an event. My mother also made fudge and a confection known as 'divinity.' Later, she and my father made popcorn balls and peanut brittle every holiday season. 

This year's holiday will be a total non-event. I stopped sending Christmas cards a few years ago. Last year I didn't bother setting up a tree, although I did decorate the house with the various Grandfather Frost wooden sculptures I bought during my time in Russia. I also have some things to hang on the wall, as well as a wreath of chile lights, reflective of the state where I now live. This year I'm not decorating at all. My only nod to the holiday is listening to each of the 40 to 50 Christmas CDs in my collection. I have everything from opera to classical to Mannheim Steamroller, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Spanish guitar, Celine Dion and Kenny G. 

I still do the bulk of my charitable giving during December, so that hasn't changed. Today I made some almond shortbread, rather than buying some as I used to do. I might make a batch of peanut butter cup cookies at some point. But I don't need either the sugar or the calories.

What happened to Christmas for me? I got old, my daughter moved away, and the commercial nature of the season has made it decidedly less appealing. I was in Costa Rica just before Christmas a few years ago, and I was amazed by how low key it all was. The mall had a couple of displays reflective of the season, but that was all. The hotel where I stayed in San Jose had some decorated trees. A private home where we had dinner had a tree and a Nativity scene. It was a nice change from the pressure and stress of Christmas in 21st century America.

I know we will never return to the days of my youth. Expectations for Christmas are high. Kids would be bored with the things that brought us joy. They can't compete with the latest Apple watch or video game. Such a pity. We loved playing with our toys, and engaging our imaginations. I liked surprising my daughter at Christmas, although I had to hide her gifts at work, so thorough was she in searching the house. Two years ago all she wanted for Christmas was money or gift cards. That's practical, I guess, but not a lot of fun to give.

Times changes, but progress isn't always better.




No comments:

Post a Comment