Google +1

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

My Favorie Things

Remember that song from the 'Sound of Music' called My Favorite Things?

For some reason it popped into my mind recently, so I decided to give a bit of thought to my favorite things. Here are my top twelve.

  • photography
  • travel
  • listening to music, especially classical music 
  • reading (history, biographies, historical fiction, nature)
  • buying or making a surprise gift for someone
  • enjoying a cup of hot tea on a cold morning (or evening) 
  • being warm under a pile of blankets on a cold night/early morning
  • doing things for others
  • observing and reading about wolves and elephants
  • spending time with and helping dogs
  • spending time in nature
  • taking a nap

Favorite things don't have to cost a lot of money. Yes, travel is expensive, but nothing else on the list costs a lot. (OK, I spent a lot on photography equipment, but it will last for many years and it gets a lot of use). I love spending time with wild elephants. I'm ever hopeful that I will get a good wolf sighting in Yellowstone. I listen to music every day, and I read every day. I look forward to my morning cup of hot tea, especially during winter. These simple pleasures are very inexpensive.

I have a good friend who loves my photography, so I produced a made-to-order wall calendar for her birthday, with photos she chose from my Web site. When one of her beloved dogs died, I asked her to send me a few of her favorite photos of that dog. I used one of them to design a coffee mug for her, with the image of the dog and the words Forever in my heart on it. Each gift cost less than $20. The pleasure these things brought her, and the joy producing them gave me, is priceless.

I really learned to appreciate how wonderful it feels to be snug and warm when I spent the coldest night of my life in the Sahara Desert in Morocco. The blanket/comforter on the bed was so heavy and warm that I actually got too warm during the night. Getting up early the next morning, however, was another story.

I think the best thing about my favorite things is getting to share them -- the photographs and the experiences -- with others. This is the perfect time of year to share our favorite things with others. And it's also a great time to appreciate the things and people that bring us happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment