Google +1

Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Creating a Kinder Christmas

Nine years ago, I turned against Christmas as it is celebrated in the United States. 

I don't deny the real reason for Christmas, to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ (although some scholars believe the birth actually happened in April, not December). But even prior to 2014, I was fed up with the constant media hype about 'the perfect gift' and commercials depicting a loving man buying his beautiful family a $70,000 Lexus for Christmas. I am fed up with seeing Christmas decorations in some stores in August. I am fed up with being bombarded by demands for money from various non-profit organizations.

I don't mail Christmas cards. I don't decorate the house.

I understand that not everybody celebrates the religious aspects of Christmas, and I have no quarrel with that. I once had a Jewish colleague at work who celebrates Christmas in its non-religious aspects. But for many people, Christmas is nothing more than an adventure in spending. And stores and online sellers would like to keep it that way. The traditional Black Friday mayhem has diminished this year, as the so-called Black Friday sales began well before the day after Thanksgiving. 

My mailbox, my e-mail, and my Facebook feed are swamped with appeals for money. Yes, I know that times are tough and the need is great, but enough is enough! I cannot donate to every worthwhile charity; I cannot save every animal in need. I cannot help fund research into every worthwhile medical issue or help feed every hungry person. I do what I can, but it seems that never is enough. The more I donate, the more frequent the appeals for still more money.

I don't want to hear radio stations playing nothing but Christmas music on November 1. I want to be able to enjoy Thanksgiving without it being just a bump in the road on the way to the over-hyped Christmas season.

I am disgusted by the whole business. I continue my tradition of not mailing Christmas cards to anybody. This year's shopping, which is very limited, was done entirely online. My daughter needed a new suitcase, so I had her pick out one online. I ordered it and it was delivered to her. I ordered toys and a dinosaur sweater for my grandson. 

I probably will shop at the Southwest Indian Foundation, which works throughout the year to provide food, shelter and heat to impoverished residents of the Navajo Nation. I will make some almond shortbread.

I love Christmas music, and I have more than 40 CDs of Christmas tunes by a wide variety of artists. I didn't listen to any of the music last year. I might put a few CDs in my car to listen to as I drive this year. 

What I really want to do is to find ways to celebrate the true meaning of this special holiday, and that does not include fighting throngs of shoppers at the mall and driving myself into a frenzy in an ill-fated attempt to find 'the perfect gift.' I will not run up massive debt buying things for people who don't need or want anything. 

This season really is about giving back to our communities, helping those not as fortunate as we are, fighting for what we are most passionate about (whether that is an endangered animal species, preservation of wilderness, fighting an injustice or feeding the hungry), and—as old-fashioned as it might appear—doing what is right. The season is about love in all its manifestations. 

Please join me in creating a new, less stressful, kinder and more meaningful version of the Christmas holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment