Google +1

Thursday, June 8, 2023

The Beauty and the Ugliness of Words

As a writer, I love words. 

I love manipulating words. I love working to find just the right words to express my thoughts and feelings. 

But there are some words I just don't like.

Here are a few examples. I simply dislike the sound of these words. There is nothing beautiful or melodic about the words on this list.

Slather (But lather is OK.)

Beverage

Crotch

Patty (as in chicken patty)

Penis

Slake

Vagina

Snack

Ointment

Phlegm

Mucus

Squirt

Panties (What's wrong with simply saying underwear?)

Pustule

Pus

One of the most hated words in English is moist, although I don't have a problem with it.

The words on my list of most-hated terms have an unpleasant sound to my ears. I'm sure there are more words to add to this list, but these came to mind immediately. Some of these words sound unpleasant, while others have unpleasant connotations.

The English language, as other languages, can sound remarkably beautiful. The young poet Amanda Gorman writes stunning poetry. She knows how to use words. But certain words are akin to the sound of fingernails on a blackboard.

I love language. I enjoy writing and manipulating words until I get the right combination of words to express precisely what I want to convey. Words are important to me, and I enjoy the challenge of writing. I am somewhat a student of language, as I studied Latin for four years during high school and Russian for six years of high school and college. Writing brings me comfort. It can inspire me and it can help me let off steam.

Words can inspire us. And words can hurt us as well.

Do you have some least favorite words?

No comments:

Post a Comment