Google +1

Saturday, December 31, 2022

A Winter Getaway

This year, rather than spending Christmas alone with my dogs, I spent it in Italy.

What a great decision this was! The weather was pleasant (in the 50s). The food was excellent. I learned how much better real Italian food is than the stuff that passes for Italian in the U.S. I met a bunch of really nice people. I fulfilled a lifelong dream of visiting Pompeii and Herculaneum, and I got to explore other interesting places as well, including the island of Capri. I was amazed to see how women of all ages in Sorrento dress. Regardless of what was going on, they were dressed in a very classy manner. And I got to experience Christmas through the eyes of the Italians of Sorrento. I always enjoy exploring local grocery stores, and I was pleased to find a store frequented by the local population just a 5-minute walk from my hotel. After a big lunch on a couple of days, a few of us enjoyed some tasty gelato for dinner -- two scoops filled me up and kept my stomach happy until breakfast.

I didn't watch any television for nine days, which was a wonderful break from the pre-Christmas barrage of endless commercials for 'the perfect gift.'. Although this was not a photography trip, I carried one of my cameras with me everywhere I went. I photographed the ruins of Pompeii and Herculaneum, both destroyed in a massive eruption of Mount Vessuvius in the year AD 79.

Next year I plan to spend Christmas in Rome, and it looks as if two of the women I met during this year's trip to Sorrento also will be on that trip. It will be nice to see a couple of familiar faces again.

I have previously taken winter getaways to someplace warm -- Colombia, Costa Rica and Nicaragua -- and I hope to continue this tradition of a winter getaway to somewhere warmer than where I live now. These trips to other countries also provide a welcome relief from the endless ads and commercials pushing people to buy, buy and buy some more. And of course, escaping the cold weather for a bit is always a welcome change.

Getting away from not only the cold weather, but also the winter blahs and a fairly boring routine, is very important for me. I am so grateful that I can take these little breaks, and I look forward to more winter getaways in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment