Google +1

Thursday, December 23, 2021

Random Memories of Christmas

 I was listening to Christmas music this morning, and something in one of the songs brought back a memory.

My parents used to make popcorn balls, peanut brittle and a white confection called 'divinity.' I never cared for divinity, and I preferred to save my calories for something I liked more than peanut brittle. But I have found memories of my parents in the kitchen, my dad making popcorn balls as my mom made peanut brittle and divinity.

I am not doing anything special for Christmas again this year. It isn't worth the effort, and I don't need to have a bunch of calorie-laden goodies in the house. 

I have some memories of Christmas when I was a young child. I was thrilled to receive a small record player and a copy of my favorite song on a 45 rpm record. My brother received a Lionel train set with an orange engine, various train cars and a track. I got a doll one year, something I never enjoyed. I much preferred stuffed animals over dolls. We went to church services every Christmas Eve. Of course, we always had a decorated tree in the living room, purchased from a lot somewhere in town that sold cut Christmas trees. My favorite lights were bubble lights that held some sort of colored liquid that 'bubbled' when the strand of lights was plugged in.

Those days are long gone, but it's nice to have the memories pop up from time to time.

Merry Christmas, everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment