Google +1

Sunday, November 22, 2020

Small Joys

This is a tough time of year.

In addition to the pandemic that continues to worsen every day, the days are growing shorter as the season moves toward winter. For those of us who need lots of sunshine, it can be difficult to keep spirits up with limited hours of daylight. I'm sitting at my desk looking out on a dark yard, but with a lightening sky over Albuquerque. Then it dawned on me (no pun intended) as I enjoy a cup of hot tea: There are some small joys to be had today.

First, I enjoyed being comfortable and warm beneath flannel sheets and a weighted blanket despite a chronic inability to sleep. I took a few minutes before getting up, to savor my comfortable mattress and warm sheets and blankets. Then I got to indulge in a cup of hot tea, this one bringing back memories of a visit to Highclere Castle, aka Downton Abbey. Although the sky is mostly cloudy, orange-tinted clouds are visible at the top of one section of the mountain. Winters in particular share some amazing sunrises with those of us fortunate to live here. Then I got an order for a photo wall calendar, something I make and sell to raise money for a couple of charities. I love sharing my photography with people. 

Thanksgiving is a few days away, and I have no idea what dinner will be. I have searched the grocery store for a frozen turkey roast, without success. I haven't bought one for a few years, so perhaps they are no longer available.

It doesn't really matter what I cook. I will fix something that will fill my stomach. I will go for a walk or two. I will take a nap. I will be grateful for all that I have and try to ignore the things I am missing.

What else do I need?


 


No comments:

Post a Comment