Google +1

Saturday, October 12, 2019

An Apology

Dear World,

On behalf of the majority of Americans, I want to apologize for the unhinged, crazy, greedy, uneducated, boorish, vile, selfish, uninformed, heartless, lying behavior of the person occupying the White House. 

I apologize to our Kurdish allies for our leaving them to be slaughtered by Turkey, with the tacit approval of the so-called leader of the free world. I apologize for the many times (too many to count) he has insulted the leaders of other countries, particularly those countries that have long been this country's allies (Germany, the UK, Canada, France, Mexico and Australia come to mind. I am sure there are others.) I apologize for his more than 12,000 lies, with more added every day.

I apologize to the Hispanics, Jews, Muslims, blacks and others he has insulted. I apologize to the women and girls he has insulted and assaulted. I apologize to the businesses he has refused to pay for their work. I apologize to the countries he insulted by calling them "shit hole countries."  I apologize to the family and friends of the late Sen. John McCain for the insulting way this five-time draft dodger spoke about a genuine war hero. I apologize to the migrant families whose children were taken from them at the border, locked in cages and kept there without showers, toothbrushes, and other basic hygiene items. I apologize to the residents of Puerto Rico, who are, after all, American citizens, for the complete lack of concern and compassion shown to them. I apologize to the family of the Muslim American soldier who died in defense of the United States, for the insults to which you were subjected because of your religion.

I apologize to the people of the world for his actions to undo a variety of environmental protections, including those that help protect our water, air and endangered species. I apologize for America's withdrawal from the nuclear treaty with Iran, the Paris climate accord, and other agreements on which this country has reneged. America's word is now worthless. Why would any nation trust us again? The orange menace has proven, repeatedly, that America's word is worthless.

I apologize for his myriad racist, sexist comments. I apologize for his name-calling and for the insults hurled at everyone who dares to disagree with him. I apologize for his ongoing insults to four women of color, all of them US citizens and all of them members of Congress. I apologize for his ignorance, his incessant bragging about himself, and for his refusal to listen to people who actually know what they are talking about. Finally, I apologize that so many millions of people in this country remain gullible enough to believe his lies and support his racism and misogyny. 

What I will not do is apologize for fighting against this petulant man-child, for opposing his hateful words and actions, and for doing my best to let others know the very real threat he presents not just to the United States, but to the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment