Google +1

Sunday, October 6, 2024

Please Stop With the Guilt!

Why can't, or won't people, understand?

I love golden retrievers. I have wanted a golden since I first saw one when I was a child. I have adopted seven goldens over the years. Actually, one of those dogs was a half golden/half corgi who is my heart dog. 

So please stop telling me to adopt a mixed breed, or a golden doodle. I have nothing against mixed breed dogs. My current dog, Jenny, is a mix of who knows what breeds. I have adopted, and loved, eight mixed breed dogs over the years. I have adopted seven purebred dogs.

But my heart belongs to goldens. I am well aware that there are millions of dogs, mostly mixed breeds, languishing in animal shelters. I am aware that most of them will not get adopted.

For me, adopting a new dog into my family is a very personal thing. I must, and I will, follow my heart. 

A few years ago, I decided that for once in my life I wanted a luxury car. So I bought a slightly used Mercedes Benz. I didn't want a Ford or a Cadillac or a Volkswagen. I wanted a bright red Mercedes. And a bright red Mercedes is what I bought.

I feel the same about golden retrievers. To me, they are the top of the line dog breed. This does not mean I view other breeds or mixes as unworthy of rescue or adoption. It does not mean I view these non-goldens as unworthy of being loved as an important part of a family. It does mean that they simply are not the kinds of dog I want at this point in my life.

So no, I am not going to adopt a golden doodle or any other designer dog. I don't want a Chihuahua or a pit bull or a cattle dog, the breeds most common in shelters where I live.

I spent 8 years working for a large California humane society. I don't need to be lectured about the overpopulation of unwanted dogs in this country, in my state or in my city. 

My most recent golden retriever died in a very traumatic fashion -- for him and for me --  from a rare medical condition that treatment didn't help. I am still dealing with the trauma of his death.

So please stop trying to guilt me into getting a dog that isn't what I really want. That isn't fair to me, and it certainly isn't fair to the dog.


No comments:

Post a Comment