Google +1

Saturday, March 4, 2023

Tearful Beauty

Did you ever see or experience something that quite literally brought tears to your eyes?

I have. The most recent occurrence was in the east African country of Tanzania. My fellow photographers and I were on a photo safari. We had stopped to watch a herd of about 12 elephants. Among the animals were some youngsters with their mothers.

As I stood in the open-top Land Cruiser (the vehicle of choice for safaris), watching this family of elephants grazing peacefully and walking silently through the grasslands, I felt tears well up in my eyes. 

Elephants have a remarkable ability to connect with many humans on a deep, non-verbal level. I am fortunate to be among the lucky folks who can feel a deep connection with these underappreciated animals. 

It's something beyond awe-inspiring to be just a few feet from one of these magnificent animals. A huge bull elephant, weighing four or five tons, stood facing us after walking deliberately toward us. My first thought was that he was challenging our vehicle, and I immediately recognized that he could flip us over with the tiniest effort. But he just stood there, watching us in silence. He didn't bother us, and we watched him respectfully.

Watching cow elephants with their offspring (female elephants remain with their herd their entire lives) was equally emotional. When an elephant calf is born, the entire family trumpets in excitement. The baby's safety is ensured as the whole family surrounds it with a forest of huge, gray legs if anything threatens the infant. Not just Mom, but sisters, aunts and cousins will defend the youngster.

I have written previously about my very personal encounter with an old bull elephant in Namibia. I still think about Mutara, as I call this old fellow, and wonder how he is doing. Has his leg healed and allowed him to walk without limping?

I likewise have felt tearful when in the presence of some of Mother Nature's creations, such as Yosemite National Park and Yellowstone National Park. 

This spectacular scenery is breathtaking. It is awe-inspiring. It is impossible to fully appreciate its grandeur. And it certainly cannot be adequately captured by a camera. This natural beauty must be felt to be fully appreciated.

Mother Nature's creations, whether animate or inanimate, fill me with wonder, yes, but also with a feeling of peace. Eyes filled with tears is simply my body's way of acknowledging the gift of great beauty and my connection with the natural world.








No comments:

Post a Comment