Google +1

Saturday, October 1, 2022

Balloon Fiesta, version 50

Today is October 1. 

The sky is clear. The sun is shining. The temperature is comfortably cool and crisp. And overhead, hundreds of hot air balloons float silently on day one of the 50th Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta.

Some 800,000 people are expected to attend this year's 9-day fiesta, along with 648 hot air balloons. This is a far cry from the original balloon fiesta, which included a mere 13 hot air balloons.

Although I stay far away from the traffic and the crowds, I often have a rignside seat from my own back yard. This morning's breeze brought numerous balloons over my neighborhood, and every so often a balloon will land on one of the unpaved roads nearby. 

One of the things I most enjoy about the hot air balloons, aside from the bright colors and seeing balloons from other nations, is the sound of the propane burners igniting to heat the air to keep the balloons aloft. The sound reminds me of another favorite sound, that of a whale exhaling as it breaks the surface of the ocean.

My dogs aren't fans of the balloons, and last year I watched as a terrified coyote fled down the road as I walked my dogs early one morning. But the two-footed animals nearby gather in yards and on quiet streets to watch the balloons float by. One morning a few years ago, a balloon from Brazil landed just a few streets away. Local folks volunteer to be part of the chase crews that follow the balloons while in flight, showing up as the balloon lands to help gather the envelope (the colorful part that is inflated) and the basked into the bed of a pick-up truck.

Balloon Fiesta is a really big deal for Albuquerque and the surrounding area, both financially and regarding visibility. Albuquerque has a major image problem due to its high rate of homicides and other crimes, so the balloon fiesta offers a positive view of the city. 

I am always happy when the event rolls around and the weather cooperates. And it's always such a fun thing to watch, for residents and visitors alike.



No comments:

Post a Comment