Google +1

Saturday, April 16, 2022

Raw Emotions

Never before has watching the news every day brought me to tears. 

But now it is extremely difficult to watch the stories of the destruction of Ukraine and the slaughter of its residents by the Russian military.

I’m not someone who weeps easily. This massacre in Ukraine has touched me deeply. I hate that the United States and its allies are standing by and watching this democratic country be destroyed. Yes, we have sent some weapons and humanitarian aid, but it is far from being enough.

I understand that no one wants to engage Russian troops and aircraft, potentially starting another world war or pushing Russia to use nuclear weapons. But something must be done to stop the bully Putin. Bullies don’t stop on their own. They stop only when they are stopped.

So many things, both good and bad, bring tears to the surface. Mostly these things are related to Ukraine. An image of someone rescuing dogs and cats abandoned when their humans fled the war. Learning that a mother's only son has died in defense of his country. Seeing the crush of Ukrainians at the Polish border, desperate to reach safety. Hearing that the Russians are targeting schools, hospitals and apartment buildings, as well as civilians fleeing the bombing of their neighborhoods. Knowing that the residents of city after city are quickly running out of food and water.

And then I read an uplifting story from Kenya about a group of grandmothers having a peaceful encounter with a massive bull elephant. Or reading about the morning antics of a previously horribly abused dog. And of course I am heartened by the incredible acts of bravery and compassion by Ukrainians and non-Ukrainians alike who are preparing meals, donating toys for refugee children and providing medical care.

All of these stories, as different as they can possibly be, touch my heart and bring tears to the surface. I cannot begin to image the suffering so many innocent people are enduring.

It isn't that I don't care about the suffering people. It's that I am helpless to do anything to ease their suffering, and my mind is being overwhelmed by the magnitude and the deliberateness of the suffering.

So I will continue to donate money each month to organizations working on the group to feed and care for those who have, quite literally, lost everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment