Google +1

Thursday, November 18, 2021

We Have Enough

Gratitude turns what we have into enough.

I recently ran across this sentiment online somewhere. And I like it. The sentiment seems appropriate during this season of thanksgiving, when we are called to consider our blessings (if we can take a few moments from the ever-intensifying calls to spend, spend, spend on Christmas things) and to appreciate and share our blessings with those less fortunate among us.

I believe it is important not only to acknowledge all we have, both physically and emotionally, but to understand that what we have truly is enough. There certainly are those who do not have enough -- enough food, enough clothing, enough medical care, enough shelter, enough moral support and enough money to support them -- but most of us do have more than enough.





So please take a few moments and consider those among us who do not have enough. Too many of our elderly face a season of hunger and loneliness. Too many of our veterans struggle with PTSD and other mental health challenges. Too many of our citizens are homeless or hungry after losing jobs due to the pandemic and its toll on businesses.

I can't save the world. But I can buy an extra can or soup or a package of pasta when they are on sale and donate food to a local food bank, or donate a warm coat to a winter coat drive. The important thing is, I can, and I will, do something. I have enough to do those simple things.

I recall a story from years ago about an elderly parent saying goodbye to an adult child and parting with the words "I wish you enough." The mother wished her daughter enough good times to sustain her through life, enough pain to make her appreciate the good things in her life, and enough loss to appreciate all she has. You can find the entire brief story of the encounter online.

So as we approach Thanksgiving, I wish you all enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment