Google +1

Sunday, April 12, 2020

Nature Is My Church

Today is Easter Sunday 2020.
 .
And because of the coronavirus pandemic, Christians are celebrating Easter and Jews are celebrating Passover differently than ever before. Gone are the gatherings of family and friends, the shared special meals, the outdoor sunrise services. Services in churches, synagogues and mosques have been canceled, with the exception of a few so-called pastors who insist on holding crowded services in churches regardless of the threat to the very lives of those who attend.

I took advantage of a beautiful, but cold (40 F) morning before the winds started to howl and the threatened rain arrived, taking my dogs on a longer than usual walk. We encountered one vehicle, one bicyclist and one woman walking her dog. I really enjoyed the quiet. I heard song birds singing (a rarity in the high desert) and the unique calls of some quail. I looked at the gorgeous blue sky and the clouds hovering over the Sandia Mountains. I enjoyed the warmth of the sun on my jacket. I noticed that many trees are budding a vibrant green.

I don't need a church in order to worship. While the fellowship is important to some, and some need a spiritual leader or guide, I think of nature as my church. Nothing created by human hands can compare with the beauty, the tranquility, the splendor of Mother Nature's creations. I would rather hear the howling of wolves, the yipping of coyotes, the hooting of owls, the singing of birds and the rushing of rivers, than to hear the music created by humans, magnificent as some of it is.
 
If the purpose of attending formal services is to honor God in whatever form the worshiper believes, or to feel closer to God, what better place to worship than outdoors, surrounded by the Creator's best work?







No comments:

Post a Comment