Google +1

Thursday, April 23, 2020

A New Perspective

A few weeks ago I received an e-mail from a young Ethiopian man I met while visiting that country a couple of years ago.

He had been hired to help my tour group, which he did by carrying my heavy camera and big telephoto lens. He also took my hand as we walked over bumpy and often steep terrain to make sure I didn't fall. This young man, Assfa, reported that the coronavirus pandemic had not reached his village. He added that the rich people were isolating themselves in their homes, while the poor people (the majority) brought food to the wealthy. There isn't a lot of food available, and he said the situation makes him angry.

A few days ago I received an e-mail from Nairobi, Kenya. The message was from the education director at Save the Elephants, through which I am sponsoring the high school education of a student from a poor, rural area of the country. 

Because of the pandemic, all the students (who live at their schools) were sent home by bus. Unfortunately, due to lack of electricity and computers, they are unable to continue their studies online. I thought of the stark contrast between education in rural Kenya and the fact that Albuquerque Public Schools just bought 18,000 Chromebook laptops that are being distributed to students who don't already have a computer at home. Rio Rancho Public Schools is doing the same thing. These students can continue their learning online. Many have educated parents who can offer homework assistance.

Just imagine the challenges these Kenyan students are facing. They don't have the option of distance learning. They don't have computers. Many don't even have electricity in their homes. And many don't have educated parents, so homeschooling isn't an option. Educational outings have been canceled. Students were gearing up for their end-of-term exams, which have now been postponed. The student I am sponsoring was struggling in school before the pandemic hit. I hope she won't let the delay in her schooling be the end of her education.

So while we may complain about stay-at-home orders, at least our students can continue their education. We have electricity. We have the means to stay in touch with the outside world. We can order groceries online and have them delivered to our homes, or we can pick them up curbside. We can get take-out meals. We may not be able to get exactly the food or the brands we prefer, but we won't go hungry. For people who have lost their jobs because their employers had to shut down because of the pandemic, finding food is a challenge. Food banks report record numbers of people seeking assistance. Across the country, people are waiting in their cars for hours to receive a couple boxes of food.

Although our medical staff and facilities are straining under the onslaught of coronavirus cases, medical help is available to most of us. Such is not the case for people in the most rural parts of our nation, however, and for those on reservations. The large Navajo Nation has been hit particularly hard.

These e-mails from different parts of Africa certainly made me look at the pandemic in a new light. They again reminded me of how fortunate I am to live where I do. I isolate myself at home, but I am able to go for walks in my neighborhood. I have plenty of food in my freezer and pantry. I can get medical care if I need it. For people in other countries, and for too many people in America, such is not the case. 

I learn so much from the people I have come to know from my travels. And I wish all of them good health during these challenging times. Their struggles not just during the pandemic, but even in better times, put any challenges I may face into a whole new light.

If you can donate money or food, please give to your local food bank. Please stay safe, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment