Google +1

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

The Death of Customer Service

Remember the old days, when the term 'customer service' actually meant something?

I am old enough to remember. Today, 'customer service' essentially means doing little to nothing to help the customer. And I'm not talking about trying to find a store employee to actually help me find something. I'm talking about getting an issue with a product resolved either online or by telephone.

Right now I'm dealing with several frustrating issues:
  • Last month I contacted the head of a local landscape company that had done work for me in the past. The company did a good job, so I contacted the owner about some yard work/landscaping I need to have done. I heard nothing from him about scheduling a site visit, so I called him again and we set a day for him to view the job. He came by and said he would send me an estimate. Two weeks later I called him, and a couple of days after that I got the estimate. I approved it several days ago and asked to schedule a date for the work to be done. Nothing.
  • I ordered a pair of ASICS running shoes online. They are uncomfortable and the laces are too short. I have worn this brand of shoes for close to 25 years, so I know about sizing and fit. I have ordered ASICS shoes online with no problems in the past. There is something wrong with one of the shoes, so I contacted the ASICS 'customer service' e-mail with my complaint. Five days later ... no response. My negative review of the shoes on the ASICS Web site was rejected.
  • I bought a new dishwasher from Lowe's. The model I want is out of stock, but I ordered it and paid close to $1,000 for it. I was told that someone would call me that day or the following day to schedule installation. Six days later ... no call. 
  • To reduce what I pay for car insurance, I signed up for AAA OnBoard, a cell phone app that tracks my driving speed and braking. In return, I get a 10 percent discount on my insurance. The renewal notice came in the mail, with no discount. I called AAA and was told my policy would be modified and new paperwork would reflect the discount. The renewal came in today's mail, and it still shows that I haven't signed up. And of course, there is no discount. I contacted the guy who sold me the original insurance policy, and learned that he is now in a different state. So I'm waiting to hear from his replacement. He never called, and when I called him, his voicemail said to contact my agent -- which I would do if I HAD an agent.

Businesses are oh so quick to take my money, but try to get help with an issue and you're on your own. Customer loyalty obviously means nothing to today's businesses. I'm tired of having to make multiple phone calls to get a resolution to problems that could easily be handled if businesses simply made customer service a priority. They want our business and our money, but they can't be bothered to handle issues that arise. Perhaps it's time to take my business elsewhere.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right. I hate the non service we receive everywhere we go. Np one cares beyond your money. No one.

    ReplyDelete