Is this crazy?
From time to time I get a mouse in my house, usually but not always in the pantry. This usually happens as the weather cools. This isn't the case now, however, with temperatures in the mid to upper 90s. But we are in a serious drought, so I suspect the little rodents are seeking water and food.
Last week I set out a trap baited with unsalted peanuts, after finding a bag of peanuts with a hole chewed in it. When I checked the trap a day later, I saw a mouse inside. I drove it to a sparsely populated area about 3/4 mile away, and it scampered away.
I put peanuts in the trap but saw no more mice for aboutaweek. But this morning as I reached for a new roll of poop bags before heading out to walk my dog, I was shocked to see another trap with the door closed. There was a mouse inside, although the trap was not in a place where I typically put a trap. And I have no recollection of putting it there
I grabbed my headlamp and headed out in search of a good release site. When I removed the release door, nothing happened. Then a dead mouse tumbled out.
I have no idea how long the mouse had been trapped without food or water. I don't want mice in my house, but I won't deliberately hurt one. That's why I use live traps.
I left the little mouse where it was.
I'm sorry, little one.
No comments:
Post a Comment