Google +1

Saturday, July 30, 2022

Glorious Rain!

It’s raining!

I live in the high desert of America’s southwest. We are, and have been for years, in a very severe drought. The Rio grande River is, quite literally, dry. 

It rained yesterday, enough to leave a flooded area at the end of the road on which I live. And now once again it is raining. And it is thundering. And the wind is howling. And it is beautiful! It’s such a wonderful feeling to sit inside my house and listen to the rain falling on the skylights in my house. I can almost hear my parched, desert-dwelling plants sighing with relief as they are pelted by the raindrops. I turned my sprinkler system off early this morning, following yesterday‘s soaking rain. The temperature quickly dropped 8°, so I was able to turn my air conditioner, which has been running nonstop for weeks, off for a little while.

In addition to the much-needed water, the storms also bring cloudy skies. I love the bright sunshine of the desert. I would be horribly depressed if I lived somewhere where the sun seldom shines. But every so often, it’s really nice to have a cloudy day.

Our rain storms typically are very short-lived, which is unfortunate. We really need the water, and the sound of the rain is such a wonderful, relaxing sound. But alas, it seems the current storm has passed.


No comments:

Post a Comment