Google +1

Saturday, August 14, 2021

It's the Little Things

 It may be a cliche, but it's the little things in life that can bring the most enjoyment.

This morning, for the first time in several months, I treated myself to a cup of my favorite tea, Good Earth Sweet and Spicy. I have loved this tea for many, many years. It was a long-standing tradition to have a cup every morning.

Then I developed kidney stones that required four surgeries to break them up with a laser, and I learned that black tea contains a high level of oxalates, the substance that is a major contributor to the formation of most kidney stones.

I gave away several boxes of Good Earth tea and other varieties of black tea last year. I started trying a variety of herbal teas, which don't contain oxalates. Some are not bad, but I missed my special tea. I still have two boxes of Good Earth tea, and this morning I treated myself to a cup. I don't let the tea get too strong (to minimize the amount of oxalate I consume), and I added a packet of Litholyte crystals, which bind with the oxalate and decrease its ability to form new kidney stones. I also enjoy the morning kick of caffeine, which herbal teas lack.

What a treat it was to enjoy a cup of this wonderful tea this morning! I have never liked coffee, so tea has always been my morning hot drink. After not enjoying this tea for several months, this was a special treat. 

Another little thing greatly enjoyed this morning was a cool start to the day. Afternoons still reach into the 90s here, but overnight temperatures are very pleasant. This is not to say that i am looking forward to cold weather, but a cool morning is welcome indeed.

Last evening we were treated to a heavy rain storm, which brought much-needed rain to this drought stricken area. Unfortunately, the heavy rain brought the realization that the roof over my patio has a leak, so rainwater got into the house around one of the living room windows. Time to call the roofing company. Luckily we don't get heavy rains like that very often.

So those are the little surprises I have enjoyed recently. What little things are your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment