Google +1

Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Be Kind. Don't Be Snarky

Why can't we just be nice to each other?

People are stressed. People are frustrated. People are worried. Some people are grieving. Some have lost their jobs, or are about to lose their homes.

Please spare us all your snarkiness. Remember what our mothers used to say: If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Snarkiness is not a good trait at any time. When people are stressed and on edge because of the pandemic, or for any other reason, somebody being snarky is the last thing they want to deal with. If somebody comments or makes a post on Facebook or some other social media platform and you don’t like it or you don’t agree with it, that’s fine. You are entitled to your opinion. But don’t leave a snarky comment. That’s not cool, and I would guess nobody appreciates it.

People used to be able to disagree without resorting to name calling, hurling insults or otherwise being nasty. That seems to be a thing of the past, a trend exacerbated by the president*. I can state that I prefer this brand over that brand, and the reasons why, without being snarky or rude.

I have seen people get snarky because they don't like that somebody shops at a pro-Chump store. They don't like an opinion someone posted. They don't like a new product and feel they need to respond in a snarky way to someone who likes the product. When one of my dogs had to be euthanized a few years ago due to an inoperable brain tumor that caused uncontrollable seizures, someone commented that I 'killed' my dog. This dog was my daughter's best friend. I spent thousands of dollars at a veterinary neurologist diagnosing the source of the seizures and running a variety of tests, and hundreds more on anti-seizure medications. We were devastated when we were told the tumor could not be removed. So how dare someone -- who doesn't know me -- accuse me of killing my dog, as if it was something I did because I was tired of dealing with the seizures. I responded with a cutting comment of my own. Sometimes a snarky comment deserves a snarky comment in return.

I blame social media in part for the increase in cruelty and snarkiness. People seem to be downright rude these days. I guess they feel safe in their anonymity as they hide behind their computer. Too many seem to feel they have to share their opinions about everything, even if they have no idea what they are talking about. Here's a case in point: Beyond Burgers, a plant-based meat alternative, is very popular with many people. I think they are the best 'burger' I have had. I don't eat them for their health benefits, but because no cows are killed to make them, and they are better for the environment. But there are always some people who have to comment that "these are crap", "it's highly processed junk food," etc. OK. Fine. Those statements are nothing but opinions. They add nothing...zero...zilch to the discussion. If someone doesn't like the taste or the texture or the price, fine. Those are legitimate reasons not to like something. Anything else is just throwing cold water on an excellent product that is extremely popular.

Some people simply are unhappy, negative souls. If that is the case, I wish they would keep their negativity to themselves. What does it gain them to subject others to their negativity?

How we respond to others is a choice -- our choice. We can choose to keep our negative, snarky comments to ourselves. We can choose to offer objections and opinions in a non-snarky way. Or we can choose to spread our negativity and snarkiness to others. 

Personally, I think there is more than enough stress and negativity in this world. So if you can't be kind, just be quiet.





No comments:

Post a Comment