Google +1

Thursday, May 7, 2020

The State of America

I am nauseous.

It's just before 6 a.m. As I do each morning, I glance at cnn.com and at my Facebook news feed to catch up a bit on what happened during the 10 hours or so since I last checked in. What I saw both depressed and sickened me. This is the state of America 2020.
  • In Georgia, a young black man went out for a midday run and was gunned down by two gun-toting white thugs.
  • The US death toll from Covid-19 reached 77,000, with the worst yet to come.
  • Donald Dumb named a top Republican fundraiser as the new postmaster general, adding further threats to the survival of the US Postal Service. 
  • Three McDonald's employees were shot after telling a customer to leave because the dining area was closed due to coronavirus restrictions.
  • Donald Dumb, who always has to be right, at least in his own mind, contradicted a nurse he was honoring as part of National Nurses' Day  when she stated that the supply of personal protective equipment was "sporadic."
  • A Salute to Nurses parade was crashed by a gun-waving driver in Pennsylvania. 
  • The administration has shelved a CDC guide to safely reopening America.
  • In Ohio, the House of Representatives voted to limit the authority of the director of the state department of health, a physician, to restrict stay-at-home and mandatory closure orders.
  • Thousands upon thousands of people are going hungry after losing their jobs.

Things like these, and so many more, are why I feel nauseous and often wake up with a persistent headache. I have serious doubts that America will survive the hatred, the incompetence, the greed, the corruption, and the divisiveness hat have been, and continue to be, inflicted on the country.


1 comment: