Google +1

Saturday, August 17, 2019

What If I Didn't Care?

This thought came to me this morning as I was walking my dogs: Wouldn't my life be a lot less stressful if I stopped caring?

What if I didn't care 

  • about wolves being persecuted for merely being wolves? 
  • that elephants are being driven to the brink of extinction so some Asians can adorn themselves with ivory trinkets? 
  • that millions of dogs are tortured and cruelly killed every year in -- where else -- Asia as part of the dog meat industry? 
  • that pigs, at least in the US, are kept in horrible conditions?
  • that rhinoceros are facing extinction because some ignorant people -- in Asia -- believe their horns are aphrodisiacs?
  • that America is keeping immigrant children locked in cages?
  • that 4 million animals -- including people's pets -- die in traps in the US every year?
  • that countless coyotes are shot for fun every year in contests to see who can kill the most or the biggest coyotes in a given time period?
  • that Japan is resuming commercial whaling, along with Norway and Iceland?
  • that Africa's iconic animals continue to be hunted as trophies so some guy can hang the head on the wall of his 'man cave' or put its skin on the floor? 
  • that Asians -- who else? -- are pushing the pangolin ever closer to extinction due to their superstitious belief that pangolin skins have magic powers?
  • about the inevitable destruction of our way of life due to climate change?
  • about the pending extinction of countless species of animals due to human overpopulation and climate change?
  • that US citizens are being rounded up and detained simply because of the color of their skin or the sound of their surnames?
What if I
  • lived my life as so many others do, not worrying about the environment or the threat of extinction or pollution or cruelty to animals? 
  • ate whatever I wanted to eat -- pork, veal, shark -- without a thought to the cruelty involved or the status of a wild population? 
  • didn't feel a need to boycott places that engage in abhorrent wildlife management practices (Botswana, Namibia and South Africa come to mind)?
  • didn't care about the obvious turn toward a fascist state under the 'leadership' of the current president?
If I did these things, would anything in this world change? Would trophy hunting and killing for fun suddenly go away? Would certain African countries stop selling their wildlife to trophy hunters or to languish in China? Would pigs suddenly be raised more humanely? Would trappers stop using their barbaric devices to catch fur-bearers?

That is the question: Is anything I am doing really making a difference to the planet or to the animals involved? Sadly, I think it isn't. I think all it does is make me feel as if I'm doing something. If that's all my boycotts and actions are doing, does it really matter what I do, or what I eat, or where I visit?

No comments:

Post a Comment