Google +1

Saturday, March 9, 2019

Let's Appreciate What We Have

I needed this recent reminder from a Facebook friend: I smile because I appreciate what I have.

There is nothing I want that I don't have and can't get, aside from warmer weather. I detest cold weather, and I have been miserably cold for many weeks during this colder-than-normal winter. 

But I have a beautiful house to help keep the cold out (although it is a house that is expensive and difficult to heat because of its five skylights and numerous windows). Those same skylights and windows let in a lot of light, which is important to my mental well-being. I also have warm clothes to help keep me somewhat warm. 

I have a nice, reliable car. I have health insurance and physicians that I like and trust. I have a pantry and a freezer filled with food. I have three dogs to keep me company. I have received a good education, and my mind is still sharp. I am in good health, with no serious medical issues. I have enough money to allow me to travel several times every year.

There are many who struggle to survive, who have so much less than I have. I have seen this during my travels to other, often 'third world' countries. I have seen women working as bathroom attendants, handing out toilet paper in hopes of receiving a small tip. I have seen that people often live in ramshackle 'houses' or in buildings that are nothing more than shells. People often are reduced to begging for a few coins so they can feed themselves and their families.

These experiences do make me appreciate the things I have. Sometimes I just need to be reminded of the many blessings in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment