Google +1

Thursday, August 9, 2018

Leave Me Alone!

Do you ever feel like screaming "LEAVE ME ALONE!"?

I feel this way more often than I would like. I am weary of the constant bombardment of electronic ads and e-mails. Facebook constantly tells me to "boost this post." Google sends e-mails urging me to sign up and create an ad on Google Analytics. And let's not forget about the 40 or more spam e-mails I get every single day, for beautiful Asian, Russian, Ukrainian and Arab girls. I get ads for loans and for software that will let me track someone's cell phone. I don't use my primary e-mail address on forms, requests for information, petitions, etc. Yet this account still gets dozens of spam e-mails every day.

If I research something online, it's a matter of seconds before an ad for that item shows up in my newsfeed or e-mail. If I try to read an article online, countless ads pop up. Videos are paused to show an ad.

Of course, not all the clutter is electronic. I still receive mail from a couple of non-profit organizations to which I once donated 20-25 years ago. These groups obviously don't need more money as they continue to send me ongoing appeals for still more donations.  

How about those screaming television commercials? Aren't they a joy to listen to? At least with those I can mute the sound, leave the room, or record the program and then fast forward through the commercials. I find myself recording an increasing number of programs simply so I can avoid the commercials.

I avoid people who come to my door to sell me something or to solicit donations by refusing to answer the door. My three dogs put up a real fuss when they hear the doorbell, so that should serve as a deterrent as well. I turned off the ringer and the answering function on my landline phone due to the never-ending stream of calls from telemarketers, charities and wrong numbers. I won't answer my cell phone unless I recognize the number or am expecting a call from someone.

How sad it is that people have to hide out in their homes to avoid being harassed by con artists, telemarketers and others with an insatiable demand for money. I donate a considerable amount to charities each year, but I choose the charities, how much to donate and the timing of my gifts. Showing up on my doorstep and continuing to send me demands for money after years of being ignored by me serves only to irritate me. So please, "leave me alone!"

No comments:

Post a Comment