Google +1

Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Food, Glorious Food

I went to the grocery store early this morning in search of a couple of sale items (Greek yogurt and vanilla almond milk).

While there, I cruised the aisles in search of other sale items, and in search of something interesting to eat. Eating has lost most of its allure since a terrible upper respiratory virus robbed me of my senses of taste and smell nearly 2 years ago. I haven't lost any weight, because I still eat, including things that aren't especially good for me. I find that I have replaced the flavor of food with the texture, specifically, the crunch of foods.

I always have loved crunchy foods such as peanuts, flavored crackers, chips and popcorn. I suspect I got this from my father, who always liked popcorn and crackers. But since losing the ability to taste (I occasionally can taste cinnamon and garlic), I have found great gustatory pleasure in eating movie theater buttered popcorn. 

In addition to not being able to taste anything I eat, there is a fairly lengthy list of things I won't eat. I stopped eating pork decades ago due to the cruel way in which pigs are raised on factory farms. I gave up lamb a long time ago because -- don't laugh -- they are just too cute. And I stopped eating beef a couple of years ago to protest the ongoing attempts by the American cattle industry to eradicate wolves, bears and mountain lions from their habitats. Cattle ranchers and their bought-and-paid-for elected allies also are responsible for the annual slaughter of hundreds of Yellowstone's native bison population. And I am not really a fan of seafood other than fish. 

So I eat chicken, turkey and vegetarian meat alternatives, many of which are quite good (especially as I can't taste much of anything). What makes sausage taste like sausage? For me, it's the spices, not the type of meat (or meat substitute) that's used. Stand-alone meat substitutes such as Chik Patties by Morningstar Farms, chickenless nuggets, etc., are great, but they're not meant to be the center of a meal. They are great for sandwiches and snacks.

I love fresh fruit, but vegetables are more work to prepare so I eat fewer of them. But I do like salads and baby carrots with ranch dressing dip. I've also made a point of incorporating vegetables in whatever dishes I prepare at home.

Between my inability to taste foods and the list of things I dislike or won't eat for ethical reasons, finding interesting foods and dishes to prepare has become quite a challenge. So much of our enjoyment of food is psychological, which is why I continue to eat things I used to like and avoid things I don't like, even when I can no longer taste them. But I have pretty much given up desserts. Why consume the calories if I can't taste the dessert?

It isn't likely that my sense of smell and taste will return, so until then, I will continue to enjoy crunchy foods and the occasional taste of garlic and cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment