Google +1

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Reaching Out

Today is the Saturday before Easter 2017. 

So this image, which was taken earlier this year in a large cemetery in Havana, Cuba, seems appropriate. There are, as you can imagine, many marble figures in this cemetery. There are sculptures of crosses and cherubs and angels. Although Cuba is a Communist, and therefore, atheist country, people are free to adorn their graves however they wish.

There was something unique and moving about these two sculptures. I wish I had paid more attention to the rest of the sculptures, but I remember that the figure on the left is of an angel. I was struck by how the hands are reaching out for one another. Their hands are almost touching. It is clear to me that the figure on the left, the angel, is reaching for the hand of the figure on the right, as if to say, "I am here. I will help you." I also was struck by the contrast of the white marble against the brilliant blue sky. I took several photographs of this scene until I got the composition just right.

Regardless of who or what the figures are, they are reaching out. And that is what drew my eye to the exclusion of everything else. For Christians, God reached out to His people in the form of Jesus Christ. Christ reached out to mortal humans as a flesh-and-blood human. And we are called upon to reach out to our fellow humans, regardless of where they were born, the color of their skin, their nationality, their social status, whom they love and how -- or whether -- they worship.

Happy Easter. Христос воскрес. Pascua feliz.



No comments:

Post a Comment