Google +1

Thursday, January 21, 2021

This Morning

Last night I went to bed without fear of what I would find when I wake up the next morning. 

Last night I could sleep, secure in the knowledge that the president would not pick a fight with another country. I could sleep, knowing that the president would not encourage a crowd to attempt to overturn the government of the United States.

Last night I slept with the knowledge that the federal government is once more in the hands of compassionate, ethical, educated adults who have the best interests of this country at heart. I slept knowing that this president will not use the power of the office for his and his family’s personal gain.

This morning I awoke to a government staffed by experienced, knowledgeable people rather than with those who have pledged their fealty to the president or bought their positions with large campaign contributions.

This morning, as a new administration spends its first full day at the helm, I believe this president is eager to try to right the ship of state that has come so close to sinking. Just a few hours after taking office, he signed 17 executive orders to undo some of the damage done by the previous president. More will come. Once again America will engage with the rest of the world, working with, rather than insulting, our allies. We will no longer need to fear backroom meetings with the leaders of nations that would do us harm. 

This morning I awoke to a nation led by a president eager to lead on behalf of the American people, not only those who support him. Will he do things and take actions with which I don't agree? I'm sure he will. Will he make mistakes? Of course he will. He is human, after all.

But this morning, for the first time in four years, I woke up without dread of what the president will do or say.  I woke up to a new day and with hope for a better future for a damaged, hurting nation.



No comments:

Post a Comment