Google +1

Wednesday, January 6, 2021

About Winter

Longtime readers of this blog will undoubtedly know how I feel about winter.

I hate it. I detest it. I find nothing to like about it.


Here are the things I hate about winter:

  • Cold daytime temperatures, and even colder mornings.
  • Snow (Luckily, we don't get a lot of snow where I live, but even a small amount is too much.)
  • Darkness.
  • I am always cold, except when I'm in bed between flannel sheets and under a warm blanket and a weighted blanket.
  • Drab, colorless environment.
  • Exorbitant heating bills. (I heat with propane, which is an expensive way to heat a house).
  • Slick roads
  • The sound of the furnace running incessantly 
  • Static electricity everywhere in the house
  • Heavy, constricting clothes: coats, hats, scarves, mittens, gloves
  • Glasses that steam up when I enter a warm/er building.
  • The length of winter
  • Frozen pipes
  • Runny nose

So there you have it. I never liked winter, even as a child. I grew up in the Chicago area, and back then, winters were worse than they are now. I did go sledding sometimes, but I have never enjoyed outdoor winter activities. I tried ice skating and never got the hang of it. I went on a 3-day ski trip to Lake Tahoe. I spent more time falling onto the snow than on my skis. The only outdoor winter activity I enjoyed was snowshoeing at Yellowstone National Park. It was a fairly warm (for February in Yellowstone) day, and I had a good time. But other than that single experience, I prefer to stay inside on a cold day.

There at least a couple months of cold weather where I live, but at least we are slowly getting more daylight each day. Soon enough winter will be in the rear view mirror and I can start to look forward to warmer temperatures, longer days and lighter clothing.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment