Google +1

Monday, January 18, 2021

Lessons From A Virus

Like most Americans, I have spent several months under stay-at-home orders.

This been challenging, but not as much as for many people. I have been retired for 10 years, so staying home isn't a huge change from my pre-pandemic life. I now look forward to my in-person trips to the grocery store. The biggest challenges have been, and still are, the inability to travel (all but one trip scheduled for last year were canceled) and the lack of opportunities to take pictures. I have wandered my neighborhood with my camera, but there really isn't a lot of interest nearby.

One lesson of which I am reminded is how lucky I am to live in a sparsely populated state.

I am lucky to live where I do, on a 1/2-acre lot with views of the mountains. 

I learned how totally clueless many big companies are. I now am looking at television commercials and online ads in a different light. Most have always seemed ridiculous (lease a new car for "only" $599/month), but they seem so much more ridiculous now. People are struggling; they can't afford to buy food. And they should rush out and lease a new luxury car for more than $600/month after taxes and fees are added on? Or how about ordering a new car online, sight unseen and with no test drive?

Companies struggling to stay afloat are now offering online ordering of food supplies, but the shipping costs are often as much as the average order. How will that help businesses when people refuse to order because of excessive shipping costs? I wanted to reorder a particular spice blend, until my $16 order came with an $8 shipping fee. No thanks.

Perhaps the biggest lesson is that the federal government under the current corrupt administration is not here to help protect its citizens. Nor are the Republican administrations of numerous states. It's all about rewarding supporters and punishing states that don't bow low enough in homage to the occupant of the White House. Mercifully, this administration will be just a horrible memory in just two days.

Another lesson is how selfish many Americans are. Rather than doing everything they can to help slow the spread of the disease, too many grabbed their assault rifles, marched in the streets, and threatened medical personnel and legislators. Others continue to ignore orders to social distance and to wear a face covering when in public. Far too many pastors have ignored the threat of crowds and insisted on the supposed constitutional rights to cram hundreds of people into a church. There is no 'constitutional right' to not wear a face covering to protect others from a deadly disease.

On the other side of the issue, I have seen more friendliness from random strangers. I have made a point of complementing others, of urging grocery store clerks and pharmacists to "stay safe."

Since the lockdown began, I have seen many more people walking in my neighborhood, some with dogs, some alone, some with a spouse or friend. People almost always wave or say hello, all while maintaining a safe distance. I wonder how many people will continue walking once the lockdown ends. I have gone for daily walks for more than 10 years, since I gave up running. I will continue to walk long after the lockdown ends. It's good for my mental and physical health.

Perhaps the greatest lesson is that we mighty humans, who consider ourselves the greatest of all creations on planet Earth, can be devastates by a thing as tiny as a virus. This virus appeared out of nowhere (or was it created in a laboratory?) and to date has killed 398,000 Americans so far, and more than 2 million worldwide. And experts predict the worst is still ahead.

Sadly, we humans are still learning this lesson the hard way.

No comments:

Post a Comment