Google +1

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Finding Gratitude In A Time Of Fear

We in the United States, as in much of the world, are in a battle against a virus that already has altered our way of life, killed thousands of people worldwide and threatens our economy.

As restaurants, shops, bars, schools, libraries and pubs close, as people are told to approach others no more closely than 6 feet, as people panic and buy every roll of toilet paper they can find, and as I and others in the high risk group of senior citizens are told to self-isolate, I've been working to find things for which I am grateful.

  • I am grateful that one recent afternoon I got to enjoy a walk outside on a fairly warm, sunny day. I can do this without endangering my health because of the area in which I live. Exercise and being outdoors are two things critical to both my mental and physical health. 
  • I am grateful for the beauty of nature.
  • I am grateful that I have a well-stocked pantry and a full freezer. I have picked up extras of a few items, and I bought an extra bag of food for my dogs, but I had no need to start hoarding things. 
  • I am grateful that I remain healthy, with the only ongoing medical condition I have an issue with one eye. 
  • I am grateful for the medical teams that are working tirelessly to assess and treat those afflicted with this virus. 
  • I am grateful for the scientists feverishly working to find a vaccine to prevent future coronavirus pandemics. 
  • I am grateful that I am mobile and able to go out for a walk, to walk my dogs each morning and to drive when I need to go out for groceries.
  • I am grateful for friends and family who help keep isolation from becoming overwhelming through phone calls, e-mail messages and encounters outside at a safe distance.  
  • I am grateful that I can check on friends overseas via e-mail and Facebook, who are facing the same threats as are we in America.  
  • I am grateful for the truck drivers who deliver goods, food and supplies to grocery stores, hospitals and restaurants. 
  • I am grateful for grocery store workers who show up for work each day despite their exposure to many people who may have the virus, and to people who complain about the lack of goods in the stores. 
  • I am grateful to those who continue to prepare and distribute breakfast and lunch for students who can no longer get meals at schools (all of which are closed until further notice). 
  • I am grateful to live in a beautiful, spacious house with a large yard where my dogs and I can spend outdoor time. 
  • I am grateful for police officers, correctional officers and firefighters for whom 'social distancing' is not an option.
  • I am grateful for local restaurant owners who are using their supplies and their kitchens to feed first responders and those in need.
  • I am grateful for local bakeries that have increased production of bread, which is difficult to find in grocery stores.
  • I am grateful for today's sunshine, which, despite the wind and cold temperatures, makes this situation a bit easier to handle.
  • I am grateful that I can look out the window of my office and see mountains and the beautiful pink blossoms of one of my peach trees.
This pandemic has so many of us feeling sad, maybe even hopeless, and frightened. We don't trust that our government is prepared to help us weather this storm (it clearly isn't). We are not getting words of reassurance and hope from the president. Social isolation and job loss are taking a toll on many people. Small businesses are struggling to survive, and many will not. We fear being one of the many who will get sick from this virus. We worry about our families and friends. No one has any idea how long the shut-downs, shortages and isolation will last.

There are so many things we cannot control: Hoarding by others. How others behave. The lies our federal government continues to spread. What products are available at grocery stores. When we will be able to buy essential products. Whether there will be enough test kits, ICU beds and protective gear for medical staff.

But there are things we can control: Our own behavior. Whether we follow rigorous adherence to hand washing and social distance recommendations. Stepping away from the news, whether online or over the air. Limiting time on social media. Finding safe activities outdoors. Exercise to relieve stress. Maintaining a healthy diet. Staying in safe contact with others. Doing fun things or things we enjoy at home. Maintaining a positive attitude. If you're so inclined, relying on your higher power. Finding ways to safely help others (such as picking up supplies for an elderly or house-bound neighbor).

For me, fighting social isolation includes daily walks by myself and with my dogs. Weather permitting, spending time in the yard, even if it means raking the end of last year's leaves, or pulling weeds. Lots of reading. Spring cleaning a little each day. And once I find the motivation, continuing to learn Lightroom to edit my digital photos. I've also been checking in on my older friends who live alone.

Life as we knew it won't be back to normal for a long time, perhaps several months or longer. This pandemic will challenge each of us. It will challenge our nation, our medical services and our humanity. 

Until this pandemic is over, and beyond, it is up to each of us to be the best humans we can be.








1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. Really thinking about things we are grateful for is life changing. I hope many find inspiration and gratitude from your post.

    ReplyDelete