Google +1

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

One of Life's Greatest Gifts

Everyone thinks they have the best dog. And none of them are wrong.  

Think about that. Don't you think your dog is the absolute best one? 

I found the quote above on Facebook. It wasn't attributed to anyone, so I don't know whom to credit.

The same day, I read a tribute by a man whose boxer was about to be put to sleep due to the ravages of old age. The sentiments below are inspired by what he wrote.

Dogs are one of life's greatest gifts. They don't judge us. They are always happy to see us, no matter how long we have been gone. Returning after a 20-minute absence gets the same welcome home as returning home after a week's absence. Their love is unconditional. It doesn't matter whether the dog is big or small, young or old, expensive purebred or a rescue dog.



Dogs listen without judging or interrupting. They don't check their watch and secretly hope we are about finished complaining or being sad. A dog's love is pure, with no expectation of anything in return

Dogs seem to have an innate ability to know when something is wrong. My second golden retriever, Toby, was particularly skilled at this. If I was crying or sad, he would  put his head on my lap. I'm not sure my current dogs would do anything, but like people, certain dogs are more empathic than others.

Dog lives are so much shorter than human, which is one of life's greatest tragedies.These kind-hearted, forgiving animals deserve a much longer time on earth. How painful it is to have to say goodbye to a beloved canine companion after just a few short years. Sadly, some dogs don't even get to live a normal lifespan due to cancer and other terminal illnesses. Regardless of how much time we spend with our dogs, it never is enough.

Dogs are wonderful teachers, They can remind us to play, to enjoy the simple things such as taking a nap in the sun or going for a walk. They make us laugh, something too many of us do too little of. My dogs get so excited about riding in the car. The words "Who wants to go outside?" get the same enthusiastic dash for the back door regardless of how many times they go out. Every time I go to check the mail or put something in the recycle bin, my dogs rush to the front door when I ask "Who's helping?" Dogs teach us to live in the moment, not to worry, to live life with no regrets, to not hold a grudge. 

Dogs, despite their inability to speak, do a fabulous job of communicating with us through their eyes, their various noises, their behaviors and their body language. If the water bowl runs dry, Bailey will find me and stare at me until I fill up the bowl. I always know exactly what she is telling me.


The worst part of sharing life with a dog is having to say that final good-bye. We all know that day is coming, hopefully later than sooner. In the meantime, it's time to cherish our furry companions, enjoy their company, and get out there and make a lifetime of memories with them.




No comments:

Post a Comment