Google +1

Monday, May 7, 2018

Am I Lazy?

I am lazy. Or at least it seems that I am.

That is a hard thing to admit, as I have never in my more than 60 years been lazy.  But lately lazy is how I have been feeling. I don't want to deal with anything other than my photography and reading.

I do the minimum necessary to clean my house and take care of the yard. Larger projects, such as removing dead branches from some of the pine trees along the driveway, remain undone. My car, which hasn't been washed in months, is in serious need of a bath. It also needs to go in for some regularly scheduled service.

I'm not depressed, and I don't feel particularly tired. I just don't feel like spending time on household chores.  And I take care of the important things, such as walking my dogs every morning, picking up their poop from the back yard, etc. But raking up the dead pine needles in the grass? That can wait for another day. In fairness, I do clean up the pine needles from time to time, but perhaps not as frequently as I should.

I also have had more than my share of medical appointments, mostly related to my ongoing eye surgery ... and sleep issues ... and osteoporosis treatments. So I'm not neglecting the important stuff. It's just that cleaning house doesn't rank very high on my list of things to do. 

I take care of the important things. I spend hours some days editing my photos from Africa. It makes me happy to see the improved images that result from some cropping, adjusting of color and a couple of other small edits. I make time nearly every day to read on my Kindle.

So maybe I'm not lazy. Maybe I'm just prioritizing what I want to do each day. Maybe I have decided at this point in my life to focus more on the things that I enjoy -- reading and photography and learning new skills -- and less on the mundane chores of life. If I'm expecting company, I will clean the house from top to bottom. But my dogs don't seem to mind if the furniture is a bit dusty. And I don't mind, either. I keep up with the clutter, as that is one thing I do mind. 

For now, I will ignore the dusty furniture and spend my time planning future travel, learning Photoshop and Lightroom, reading and editing photos of the amazing animals I have seen during my travels.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment