Google +1

Friday, March 2, 2018

Say 'No' to All Tax Increases!

Why don't governments, at all levels, live within their means? Why is the only solution ever considered a tax increase?

It doesn't matter which level of government we're talking about -- local, county, state or federal. No government entity is capable, or at least willing, to live within its means. 

If my bank account gets a bit low, I cut back on spending. I purchase only what I absolutely need. I delay major purchases or home improvement projects.

Every year I am told that there will be little or no cost of living increase in my pension and Social Security payment because inflation is nonexistent or very low. Yet every year my Medicare premium increases. Each time I go to the grocery store, prices are higher than in the past.  A loaf of bread? $4. A gallon of milk? $3. A box of cereal? $4-$5.

Today's newspaper has a large, front-page story about how Albuquerque's newly elected mayor wants to impose a 3/8 percent tax increase without a vote by the citizens, something he promised when he was campaigning for the office.

I don't live in Albuquerque, but I do much of my non-grocery shopping there. When I go to the dentist or get my hair cut, I pay the Albuquerque sales tax (called, for some unknown reason, a 'gross receipts tax') on everything, including services. When I take one of my dogs to the veterinarian, I pay the Albuquerque sales tax. 

Has there ever been an agency that feeds off the public that doesn't want more money? A special addition to our property taxes to support the building of a new hospital was supposed to last only four years. When the increase was about to expire, the hospital, as expected, came back to the public trough for more money, despite the building having been in use for several years. Each election brings with it a bond issue for the schools or roads or police.. 

As a matter of principle, I vote against any and all bond issues that will result in a tax increase. Call it a 'gross receipts tax' or a 'mill levy' or anything else, it still is a tax increase. It still takes money out of my pocket. 

Private citizens are expected to live within their means. Non-profit organizations live within their means. Why do government legislative bodies feel they can simply raise taxes on others because they can't live within the funds allocated to them? And if funds are in such short supply, why do elected officials keep voting pay raises for themselves? The mayor and city council of the city where I live voted pay raises for themselves (although they won't take effect until the next batch of crooks is voted into office). The state legislators just voted themselves a 10 percent pay raise, while voting teachers a mere 2.5 percent increase.

Quite simply, it is time for the citizens to say 'enough!' The vast majority of elected officials do not represent me or the average citizen. A few years ago, the newly elected mayor and city council overturned an ordinance that would have forbidden the selling of animals by pet shops unless the animals were from local rescue groups. The ordinance had been developed with a great deal of citizen input. The tea party majority then chose to overturn the ordinance. So much for 'representative' government.

So no, I will not vote to support any request that will taise taxes in any form. Government officials need to learn that the public well is limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment