Google +1

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Step Away From the Computer and Experience Life

I spend a fair amount of time on Facebook, although I have cut back considerably over the past few months.

Part of the reason is that it just hurts too much to read the never ending stories of cruelty to animals, trophy hunting, trapping and many other manifestations of the black hearts of so many people.

Another part of the reason is reading still more examples of the greed, corruption and incompetence of the current administration, along with its grab for more power.

Finally, I have noticed that some of Facebook's tactics have become ever more intrusive.. Some examples:
  • The constant reminders to "boost this post" or "similar posts that were boosted got more views." Boosting, of course, means paying Facebook to increase the number of people who see a given post.
  • "Suggested groups" reminders show up incessantly, especially on my mobile devices. Most of the groups are either located several states away from me, or are groups in which I have absolutely no interest.
  • The same goes for "people you may know" suggestions.
  • "Get more likes, comments and shares."
  • "Pages you may like" 
  • "Promote page"
  • Suggestions to add another page administrator to my two writing and photography pages. Why would I want to give someone else control of my pages?
  • Ads, ads and more ads.
I get it. Facebook founder and billionaire Mark Zuckerberg wants ever more money. But if I want to promote my page or find a group to join, I will do that without being badgered by Facebook. I don't need the constant badgering.

Social media of all sorts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and others) is great up to a point. But it appears that people have become so consumed with social media that they are losing contact with the people and events in the real world. Combine social media with the 24-hour news, and one's mind can easily become overwhelmed.

I suspect I will continue to limit my exposure to all forms of media. It's far healthier for me to be outside taking a walk, playing with my dogs in our yard, taking a trip to someplace new, or reading a book, than to sit in front of a computer or tablet being bombarded by negative stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment