Google +1

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Not Missing What I'm Not Seeing

For the past 2-1/2 weeks, I have had extremely limited vision with both eyes.

The only reason I am able to type this blog post is that I took a touch-typing class one summer while in high school some 50 years ago. Little did I know how well that brief summer school class would serve me later in life.

Since having surgery to reattach one retina and repair the tears in the other retina, I have been unable to read except for very brief periods and while using a magnifying glass. This means I haven't been able to enjoy my morning newspaper, nor have I been able to read books on my Kindle. Using the computer has likewise been off limits. I also was told not to watch television for a while, and to sit for hours on end with my head down, looking at the floor. I was given a special foam pillow that sits on a small table.The pillow has cutouts for my face. Pillow or no pillow, this is a very uncomfortable position to hold for very long.

This has made for a very boring life. But one good thing to come out of this is the lack of exposure to the daily drivel about the goings on of the Trump administration and its  regressive colleagues in Congress. I haven't been able to remain totally free of politics. But not being able to read the newspaper or online stories certainly has limited my exposure to the threats this administration poses to our nation. I laughed when I heard of the Republicans' ill-fated efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act and replace it with something that costs more, provides less coverage and would result in some 24 million Americans losing their health care coverage. Way to "make America great again."

I also haven't missed seeing all the posts in my Facebook news feed about cruelty to animals. I know the cruelty is there and that it occurs far too often, but I don't miss the constant reminders of how heartless some people are. Unfortunately, I did hear about the Republicans' support (by all 52 Republican senators) to allow killing wolves and hibernating bears in their dens in Alaska. This just shows how heartless and depraved the party of Abraham Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt has become.

My satellite television programming supposedly offers some 175 programs. In reality, well over half of these 'channels' are nothing more than infomercials touring everything from copper pans to the world's best vacuum cleaner to sex aids and wrinkle removers. So the field of available programs that are actually programs for me to listen to as I recover my vision is pretty small.

My vision is improving slowly, and I know that it won't be too long before I once again will be immersed in the world of inane politics and animal cruelty. Until then, I will look forward to regaining my eyesight and enjoy this break from the world. 



 


,

No comments:

Post a Comment