Google +1

Saturday, January 7, 2017

A Deep, Slow-Burning Anger

To say that I am angry is a gross understatement. 

My anger is not one of those 'You idiot! Why did you cut me off?" kinds of anger. It is not an anger that flares up brightly and then dies out. No, my anger is deep and slow burning. I know this isn't good for my health or my mind, but it shows no signs of going away any time soon. This is not about my candidate losing. I have backed losing candidates during previous elections at all levels of government. I did not strongly support any of the candidates for president. No, my anger and fear are about the fact that this country, with help from the Kremlin, elected a mentally ill, lying, tax-dodging, misogynistic, hate-filled bully. Add to that a large number of members of Congress who support him and his agenda, and our country is in real trouble.

The new US Congress wasn't even sworn in yet when it met in secret to approve legislation to gut the independent ethics committee. Word quickly got out, the general public flooded congressional offices with irate phone calls, Trump tweeted (what else?) his disapproval (not of the plan, but of the timing), and the bill was soon withdrawn.

So what was the next order of business of the new Congress? Was it dealing with the budget deficit? Infrastructure improvements? Defeating ISIS? Homeland security? Veterans? Creating jobs? No, it was a rush to allow the sale of public lands. Here's a simple explanation for the brain dead Republicans who think this is a great idea: Public means the lands belong to the American people. They do not belong to members of Congress to sell. 

Also high on the Republican to-do list is to repeal the Affordable Care Act (i.e., 'Obamacare') with no plans to replace it. Such a move would cost -- who else? -- the American taxpayers $350 BILLION, result in the loss of 3 million jobs, and leave more than 20 million Americans with no health insurance.

Another 'priority' is gutting Social Security and Medicare, long a dream of the weasel from Wisconsin, Paul Ryan. I guess these 'leaders' figure than the $9,000/year or so that some seniors get from Social Security is too much. I, and others, believe that members of Congress should get the same health and retirement plans as do everyday citizens.They were elected (why I will never understand) as 'representatives' of the people -- not as kings and rulers.

What Trump and his Republican henchmen are doing or planning to do should come as no surprise. They are doing what they said they would do -- destroy Obamacare, Medicare and Social Security. 

I also am angry about the growing attempts to roll back the hard-won rights that women and gays now enjoy. Are we to stand by silently and watch these rights be eliminated? I think not.

If there is a protest march in my area on inauguration day, I will be there. And I will join the millions of other angry, frightened Americans who will not watch the inauguration on television or online. We will not be on Facebook on Jan. 20 to avoid learning anything about the coronation of the incoming fuhrer. And until things change, we will continue to be angry.

No comments:

Post a Comment