Google +1

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Facebook-Free

I lasted six days since deactivating (but not deleting) my Facebook account.

I did this once before for a single day, and of course, when I am in Africa and other parts of the world where wi-fi isn't as prevalent as it is here. But this is the first time I have intentionally been Facebook-free for this long. 

What prompted this hiatus was the recent slaughter of 49 people at a gay nightclub in Orlando, FL, and the resulting onslaught of posts by the 'anybody should be able to buy an assault rifle' crowd. Overcome by grief and anger that our so-called 'leaders' had again refused to do something -- anything -- to prevent more mass killings, I simply had to step away for a while.

Since then, I have vowed to remain Facebook-free for as long as I can. Facebook is a useful way for me to keep in touch with friends both in the US and abroad, but it also causes a lot of stress when I read about all the abused animals needing medical assistance or rescue, and when reading the posts of people who refuse to see the necessity for tightening laws regarding who should be allowed to purchase automatic weapons.

Out of curiosity, I did a Google search about 'how to kick the Facebook habit.' I was surprised to see how many authors have addressed this issue, as if Facebook is yet another addiction like alcohol or drugs. 

I try to stay clear of political debates online, as nothing good ever comes of them. But I am unable to stay silent in light of the ongoing mass murders taking place on a regular basis in America. I am saddened when I think about what our country has become -- a country filled with violence, hatred, deep political divisiveness and a refusal to do anything to find a common ground for the safety of our people.

No comments:

Post a Comment