Google +1

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Colors

Most of us live in a world of color, but how often do we stop to pay attention to the colors that surround us?

I live in the high desert, where there isn't a lot of color aside from browns and tans, But today was a day when I was struck by color. First, I admired the crystal blue New Mexico sky. A combination of altitude (some 5,300 feet), low humidity and clean air make the skies over this state the bluest, most crystalline skies I have ever seen.

Then I noticed the bright red leaves on a tree in a neighbor's yard. We don't see a lot of red
or orange leaves around here, so this tree is a special delight to see amidst the golden leaves of the cottonwoods and aspens.

I made some pumpkin bread today, mixing it in one of my late mother's green mixing bowls. I always think of her when I use one of her three, non-matching green bowls.

As I walked up to my front door, I spotted a few bright yellow flowers still blooming despite the below-freezing overnight temperatures.


At the end of the road on which I live, my neighbor has a bright blue gate. It reminds me of the many brightly painted doors I saw in Ireland. These touches of colors really pop in an area where nearly everything is a shade of tan.
My dining room windows are home to a variety of plants, including a small red cactus of some sort, as well as another non-thorny cactus plant that is about to bloom with a plethora of bright pink flowers. 


As I look out my office window, I see beautiful golden leaves on some trees a couple of houses down. My wool pullover is a bright turquoise color.

As I got older, I gradually, and unknowingly, have shifted my wardrobe colors so now I have a closet full of turquoise and teal (my favorite colors), red and purple clothing. I have some dark blue, black, gray, bright blue and white clothing as well, but bright colors are my go-to items. 

It's nice to see that even in this dry-as-dust area where earth tones predominant in the landscape and on the houses, Mother Nature still gifts us with bursts of color.

No comments:

Post a Comment